Information about the rights of individuals who receive services from Madison County Service Coordination and the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities



These are the rights of individuals who receive services from Madison County Service Coordination and the Missouri Division of Developmental Disabilities 

It is important for every person to know his or her rights. When you apply for services and annually Support Coordinators will ensure the individuals served and their representatives receive a written description of rights and how to exercise them. 

You have the same legal rights and responsibilities as any other person unless the court says you do not. 

All persons served by the agency have the right to: 

  • Be treated with dignity and respect; 
  • Have the same legal rights and responsibilities as any other person unless otherwise limited by law; 
  • To receive services regardless of gender, race, creed, marital status, national origin, disability or age; 
  • To have information presented in an understandable way; 
  • Be informed of their rights and how to exercise them; 
  • Accept or refuse services; 
  • Participate in program planning, decision-making and implementation; 
  • Request a plan meeting to revise or update the current individual plan; 
  • Be informed of their privacy rights with respect to personal health information; 
  • Be informed of the agency’s privacy practices; 
  • File a grievance if he or she feels they have been denied a service or benefit, or his or her rights or privileges have been limited or denied, contrary to agency policy or procedure or due to the arbitrary and unreasonable action of staff. 

All persons served by the agency have the responsibility to: 

  • Participate in one’s own Individual Plan development; 
  • Cooperate in the implementation of one’s own Individual Plan; 
  • Provide information needed for effective and efficient service coordination and delivery; 
  • Communicate openly and honestly with agency staff; 
  • Except in emergencies, attend or inform agency and service provider in advance when scheduled attendance for services must be canceled; 
  • Apply for and cooperate in maintaining eligibility for Medicaid, Section 8 and other government resources and benefits; 
  • Complete a Standard Means Test Financial Questionnaire, which is administered by the Department of Mental Health, and pay the assessed amount toward the cost of services. 
  • Abide by federal, state and local laws and regulations and agency policies. 

Download an easy-to-understand booklet about rights in PDF format.

Due Process

MCSC staff who work with you must make sure you learn and understand your rights, and that no one takes your rights away before you have a chance to speak for yourself or have someone you choose speak for you. This is called due process. 

Before your rights or services can be limited or taken away, you have the right to be heard or to have someone you choose speak for you. This is called due process. 

Any proposed limitation of rights must be reviewed by a Department of Mental Health (DMH)-approved Human Rights Committee to ensure that a person’s rights are adequately protected. 

If you feel your rights or privileges have been limited or denied unfairly, you may file a complaint of grievance. (See File a Complaint or Grievance tab.) 

Abuse and Neglect

You have the right not to be abused or neglected. Abuse can be physical, verbal, mental, sexual or financial. Neglect is not getting the things you need to be healthy and safe. 

If you think you are being abused, neglected, or your rights taken away, you, your parents, your guardian, or any other person you choose can contact your Support Coordinator, regional office or habilitation center for help. You can also call consumer rights monitor (Constituents Services) in Jefferson City at 1-800-364-9687 for help. 

For children (under 18 years old), call the Missouri Department of Social Services’ Children’s Division Child Abuse/Neglect hotline at 1-800-392-3738 (voice) or 1-800-669-8689 (TTY). 

For adults (18 years and older), call the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services’ Elderly Abuse/Neglect hotline at 1-800-392-0210 (voice) or 1-800-735-2466 (Relay Missouri). 

For adults receiving Supported Living services, contact the Executive Director at 573-874-1995 or the Coordinator of Training and Quality Assurance at extension 110. 

People who work for MCSC, the regional office or habilitation center must report any abuse or neglect that they see or that people report to them. 

Services and Support

You have the right to get your services and supports in the most integrated setting and in a way that best meets your needs. To determine those services, these people may be involved: 

  • You 
  • Your parents 
  • Your guardian
  • Or any other person of your choice 
  • You have the right to know what BCFR, the regional office and habilitation center rules are for the services and supports you receive. (See the Rights tab above to read your rights.) 
  • You have the right to have your services, supports and personal records explained to you so you understand them. 
  • You have the right to receive and read your personal records. 
  • You have the right to receive and sign a copy of your personal plan. 
  • You have the right to have your records kept private.
File a Complaint or Grievance

If a person receiving services has complaints of abuse, neglect or violation or limitation of rights, the person, the person’s parents, guardian or authorized representative may contact their Support Coordinator, regional office, or they may contact the Department’s consumer rights monitor (Constituent Services) at 800-364-9687 or TTY 573-526-1201 for assistance. 


Your Rights 

We respect your rights as a client of MCSC and the Department of Mental Health. You should have received a copy of your rights. To obtain another copy contact your Support Coordinator or refer to the Rights tab above. If you tell someone that you do not like the way you have been treated staff will not retaliate against you. 


Solving Problems Informally 

We value your point of view and want to hear from you whether to encourage or compliment the staff or service providers or discuss a concern with your plan, services, and staff cooperation that may occur from time to time. It’s best to talk with the staff person involved as soon as possible. Your Support Coordinator will schedule a meeting at your request. 


Filing a Grievance with the Executive Director 

The agency has a Grievance Procedure to help you with unresolved concerns about the services and supports you receive from MCSC. Our goal is to resolve concerns as quickly and as informally as possible. However, if you are still dissatisfied after talking with the staff involved, you may file a formal grievance or complaint. 

To file a grievance, complete a grievance form. On it, describe how you were denied a service or benefit or your rights or privileges have been limited or denied. You may get a grievance form from your Support Coordinator or the Director 573-783-4451. Director or another person can help you fill out the form. 

Mail the form or drop it off at the Agency’s office at 610 S Chamber Drive, Suite B. The Executive Director will review it or may assign a staff member to follow-up.